With NT and better (who really cares about Win9x any more), you can use sparse files, where the OS creates a file (potentially larger than the disk) but only allocates sectors as you write them. Once the file is complete, it would be copied to a normal file.

Angus

Yea, I looked into this, and the related API calls on the MSDN site. However, I also heard that sparse files lead to bad file fragmentation, not sure if thats true or not though.

Dan