I know it's a bit off topic, but has anyone any idea what I should look
for. From what I've read 8760 bytes is the max frame size that can be sent
before an acknowledgement is required (but I must admit I don't quite
understand how it all works).

The single ethernet packet can take 1460 bytes plus the header making a total of 1526 bytes (if my memory serves well). But Winsock/TCP uses a trick called "sliding windows" that sends multiple packets before waiting for an ACK. AFAIK, the window size can be arranged from registry. In high latency environments, bigger windows size means high throughput but also high kernel memory usage.

Best Regards,

SubZero