Does you console mode program have a message pump ?
Without message pump, you wont have any event triggered.

From: "Patrick Wong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <twsocket@elists.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 4:48 AM
Subject: [twsocket] Assign event handler to manually created TStmpCli object

> Dear all,
>
> I am writing a simple mail client in console application form.  I manually
> created a TSmtpCli
object for my purpose.

> The problem is that after I call the SmtpClient->Connect() method, the client
> fails to connect to
the SMTP server.  I referenced the MailSnd example and did set
SmtpClient->Host, SmtpClient->Port
properties as in MailSnd.  Using MailSnd to connect and send mail to server
does not have problem.

> I notice that the events SmtpClientDisplay and SmtpClientRequestDone in
> MailSnd will be triggered
when response is received from SMTP server.  I place similar event handlers in
my program in an
attempt to print message on the console window, but the events just will not be
triggered.  I assign
the event handlers in the following way:

>     SmtpClient = new TSmtpCli(NULL);
>
>     if(SmtpClient != NULL)
>     {
>       SmtpClient->OnDisplay     = SmtpClientDisplay;
>       SmtpClient->OnRequestDone = SmtpClientRequestDone;
>          :
>          :
>     }
>

> Is it the proper way to assign event handler?  How can I trace where the
> problem is in failing to
connect to SMTP server?