Angus,

Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping to find out that I was doing something silly. Ah well.

You are right on the billing aspect. My client is very sensitive to this issue.

...Andy

Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
I have some vehicles with GPRS modems connected to O2 in the UK. The problem I have is when the O2 "network" drops a connection to my

server
- i.e. a close not initiated from the vehicle, or my server. When this happens, I never see a disconnect, so the next time the unit reports in, it usually has a different IP address, and I still have the previous connection open, so I get a bit confused.

I have a similar issue with WiFi on vehicles in the UK, they drive out of range of the access points. The vehicles have GPRS as well, but we've never put SIMs in the Siemens modems. All you can do is use timeouts to close the session. I only open a connection to send data, once a minute, and have a 15 second timeout. Unfortunately this might be expensive on GRPS due to the billing (unless you have enough vehicles to get a decent price) since opening a connection is several packets, perhaps you could send a keep alive packet one a minute?

Angus

--
ASA Micros Ltd.
141 Wardle Road,