RAW sockets were introduced with Windows 2K and are only usable by Administrator accounts. I don't think they're trying to remove them.

Dan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <twsocket@elists.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 10:11 AM
Subject: Re: [twsocket] Monitoring TCP/IP traffic

> May be it's possible with SOCK_RAW socket type. Have you read the
> article "Hands on TCP/IP programming in Delphi" by Alfred Mirzagitov?
> It's in the TCPIP sub directory.

> http://www.thedelphimagazine.com/disks/dmag101.zip

It's not the article but some interisting demo code, including a
logger.

Thanks, just pulled the January 2004 issue of the magazine off the
shelf and shall have a read of it.

The IP packet logger does seem to be exactly what I need.  Had to fix
one line to allow for an empty packet, but it's now scrolling TCP/IP
packets onto my screen.  It's really quite surprising how much crap is
flowing around my network, in particular a Netgear router broadcasting
UPD packets every second <g>

Only slight worry is I thought Microsoft was trying to stop raw sockets
being used, but this is still running OK under the latest XP patches.

Angus