Scrive Francois Piette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > So we should consider both. But there is a potential problem. The RFC
> > stated that more that one encoding can be applied to the body. We can
> > have then a mixed situation.
>
> Two compression applied one after the other or one compression for a part of
> the document and
> another one for the remaining part ?

One after the other. From RFC 2068, chapter 14.12:

----8<----
[...]
If multiple encodings have been applied to an entity, the content
codings MUST be listed in the order in which they were applied.
[...]
---->8----

> In either case, I don't understand how it could work except if
> the document is in MIME format and compression apply to MIME parts. Thta is a
> completly different
> problem.

Why? If you have "Content-Encoding: gzip, deflate" you should first use
deflate and then gzip.

> > BTW the Xavier proposal make the decode at the end.
> > I think that initially making the decode of the whole thing will be
> > easier to implement, and in a second time we can add the streaming
> > capability.
>
> I think the code would be completely different. It's writing it twice.
> Streaming is very interesting for example when downloading images or sound
> and start displaying or
> playing before the end of document is here. And this apply also in basic
> document type where display
> can be done as the document is comming.

Ok, I'll change the code (my code) to handle the streaming. Then I'll send it
to you so we can discuss about it.

Bye, Maurizio.