Arno Garrels wrote:
> Code that is published as/in ICS was mostly contributed because the authors
> would have written it anyway and they decided to give it away as freeware
> under the license of ICS. The principle is simple, if you use ICS in your
> applications, you should make your own improvements or bugfixes public.
> If you do not it's your turn, but then you are not belonging to the
> people who are interested in moving this project forward.
> (not everything in the world is a business model!)

Arno,
        Although I agree with your philosophy, I believe that he was referring
to Francois himself releasing ICS as "open source".  Although I'm sure
that only Francois can answer that question, I think that it is
appropriate to make a few important distinctions:

1. ICS is not "open source" as in Open Source Software, i.e. it does not
adhere to any of the OSS licenses.  It is "freeware" (or more specific,
"postcard-ware" :), that Francois happens to offer with source.  He
reserves the right at any time to stop this and to prevent anybody else
from distributing the source.  As a matter of fact, Francois does not
currently give permission to distribute ICS source by anybody except him.

2. Francois does not generate money from ICS; as far as I know, he
originally made money from the MidWare components, which were the
commercial, industrial-strength components.  He gave ICS away in return
for a postcard, but he wasn't expecting to make a business model out of it.

        dZ.