David Lewis wrote:
> What is the 'right' way to close the connection down in such a way that
> the next attempt will be a 'clean' one? I presume I haven't closed
> everything down properly which is causing be to fail on the next
> connection.

Usually calling Abort aborts a dns lookup as well (which probably cause
error 11004). It is the method that shall work at any time. Are you using
latest release? Because there was an indirect problem with Abort a couple
of months ago (or even last year). Before that fix it was possible that
the component raised an AV on Abort (due a call to ProcessMessages somewhere
in the code).

I have a simmilar NT service running and never expirenced that error.
However I destroy the component after each loop. May be a simple workaround
for your problem as well.

---
Arno Garrels [TeamICS]