I want some client software I am writing to be able to determine if my server
software is up and running and if so the IP address of the server machine to
save the user having to set up IP addresses and so on.  Having looked at a demo
for doing exactly what I need, I set up  a UDP socket server on the server
software in listen mode and a TWSocket in listen mode on the client.  I set
both of them to UDP and to port 9183.  On the client, I then create a temporary
TWSocket component and broadcast to 255.255.255.255 a short message as the demo
does.  The message is about 20 bytes long.

Now, the problem appears to be that it seems a little hit and miss.  Sometimes
the server sees the client and responds correctly and sometimes it doesn't.  I
wondered if the packets were being received OK (as UDP can split packets and so
on) so I downloaded a packet sniffer and ran it both on the client and server
machines.  I am certain from this that the client machine is sending out the
broadcast.  I can also see that the server has received the broadcast message
and it is complete in 1 packet.  However, the DataAvailable function doesn't
seem to get called and I am now at a loss as to why.  Have I missed something
obvious?

Chris Lord
Design Engineer / Network Administrator
Tuthill Micro Systems