Hi,

I've done a lot of work before with serial communications, but it seems
that things don't work as simply as RS232/485 in the IP world.

I'm setting up a client/server situation using ICS's WSocket &
WSocketServer. These modules need to be able to transfer lots of data
blocks between each other with little (or no) time gaps between them.

Now, in the old serial world, I could use fixed length packets, CRC's,
inter character/message timeouts etc to validate & separate each block,
but I can't do this with TCP/IP it seems.

I read somewhere about IP not being guaranteed, but that TCP compensates
for that, but needs to be done client side.
Is this inside the network protocol or the components, or should I be
doing something for this?

If a packet is sent by the client, can I 'guarantee' that I will receive
every byte at the server? (& vice versa)

 From what I can see, there is nothing in the components that can tell
me when the packet has started/completed, so how would I know what
position of the packet any received byte is? Is there any way to
identify a start byte/packet? If not, how can I break down the TCP/IP
data into the individual packets being sent?

I guess one way would be to introduce start/end characters to look for,
but in this situation, all I have is a 4-byte length header. But I see
no way to detect these four bytes.

Am I missing some obvious way of doing this? Any windows/component events?

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave