> Ah.  I see.  Thank you.  Before I posted my question I read as much
> information on all this as I could including my old postings from last
> year
> and the wsocket.hlp file.   As I understand it then, the Wsocket.hlp file
> is
> wrong or even worse, vague giving the impression that something is
> possible
> when it really isn't.
>
> <QUOTE from wsocket.hlp>
> Applies to
> TWSocket
>
> Declaration
> Function Listen: Integer;
>
> Description
> The listen method is used to build a server application where a given
> socket
> must wait for incomming remote connections. The listen method ask the
> underlaying level to wait for connection. It is non blocking: listen
> returns
> immediately whitout waiting for an actual connection. When a connection
> will
> be available at a later time when the client connected, the
> OnSessionAvailable event will be generated. The OnSessionAvailable event
> handler will normally call the accept method to retreive the client
> connection handle.
>
> Before calling the listen method, you must properly setup the Addr, Port
> and
> Proto properties.
> <END QUOTE>
>
> The example that follows in the .hlp file uses telnet not tcp or udp.

Telnet is TCP. Actually almost all high level protocols (http, smtp, nntp,
pop3, telnet, ftpa nd more) are TCP. ICS doesn't implement any high level
using UDP. As UDP is sessionless and connectionless, it is clear that the
quote from the help file doesn't apply.

> Perhaps an extra statement in the wsocket.hlp file that this does _not_
> apply to UDP and that listen does not ever generate a call to
> OnSessionAvailable would have saved me some time.

This help file is very old and not maintened at all. There is a wiki which
is there to replace the help file but we lack volunteers to build it. See
http://wiki.overbyte.be. If you have some spare time, you may contribute to
writing the wiki, even if you don't know the details. We are looking for
someone willing to simply enter all properties, methods and events for each
component. Other people will enter the full description.