> Outlook Express can send mail using the same server settings from the
> same machine yet all I get is a connect error message.

But outlook is a different program which is clearly identifyed by security
products.
I'm 100% sure the problem comes from your security product which block the
access for the unknown (for the security product) program MailSnd.
Please do a check on a computer with a barebone Windows installed, no
security product at all, no XP firewall activated. This will verify you
successfully built MailSnd demo (I can email you my own executable). If it
works on the barebone system, then your system has a security product which
prevent the program from accessing the network.
This is not the first case a developper report a problem such as yours. It
has ALWAYS been proven the problem comes from a buggy or misconfigured
security product ! There are also known cases where disabling the security
product is not enough. You have to uninstall it. You can trust me.