Thanks for your replies:

1)  Yeah I know the
     SYN
     SYN ACK
     ACK
should establish the connection and agree the

     SYN
     SYN ACK
     RST ACK
looks like a client problem but the same client works to another machine.

I'll try intercepting the packets too and see if that reveals anything.

I'm inclined to think it's not a firewall issue as such, but I do think NAT
may be having a part to play somewhere along the line.  If I fire a test
client at it I can't make it fail.  It's sending the actual packet captured
from a real client while failed so it's nothing to do with the data, but
I can't get it to fail even when test client is run remotely using
(via NAT).