You know, modern hard drives actually checksum written data so you never
get corrupted data back. You might get NO data back (that is, an I/O
error) but that would make any operation on the file fail, including
burning the file to a CD. I've read this in a "howto" for Linux'es
software raid driver. That's where they also say the BUS that data
travels to the HDD is NOT checksummed and that has a grater probability
of introducing an error!

Also there are two kinds of checksums applied to those large downloads.
There's the MD5 checksum that can be reproduced by the man in the middle
so it's useless for security (after all, if the man in the middle is
willing to waist bandwidth to "fake" the main download, what does it
take to also "fake" the checksum?). And then there are the "ASC"
checksums, I think those are used for security as well.