> I understand what you mean. The problem is that such change in the
> component could have adverse effect on existing code. Specialy
> calling TypeSetAsync from the binary property setter.

The problem of FTP transfers defaulting to ASCII comes up regularly, and causes
a lot of trouble for beginners.  It generated a long thread in the Borland news
groups a few days ago, to which you have belatedly commented.

Surely virtually no-one uses ASCII transfers nowadays, and if they really need
ASCII they can specifically set it.  Forcing binary after logon might not be
technically backward compatible, but will help far more people than it hinders.
 Or maybe in V6 only.

Angus