What about using RegisterWindowMessage to let windows give you a value for
the windows-message not beeing in use? Usually this procedure is used when
sending windows messages between applications. But I don't see a reason for
not using this inside the application also. If we give the windows message a
name that is safe to assume that no other application would use, then we
would have a message that no other applications/librarys use.

For those not familiar with this procedure, this is how it works:
const int MY_CUSTOM_MESSAGE = RegisterWindowMessage("MY_CUSTOM_MESSAGE");

The first time this is called after a reboot, windows will reserve a value
for the message-name and return it. The next time the procedure is called
with the same string, it will return the same value as earlier.

Regards Bjørnar