Francois,
   Then there are situations that your previous
argument will fail:  Consider an application using
HttpCli that does not automatically encode URLs in
the URL property.  Users will complain that "If I
enter <address with a space> in IE it works, but your
software is broken!".  If your response is "have the
developer fix his application", then it is the same
as saying "have the server developer fix his
relocation code", no?

   My point is that if you want your component to
behave in the same expected ways as a browser would,
then the appropriate solution is to force automatic
encoding all the time, which is what browsers do.  If
already encoded URLs are taken into consideration,
then it won't break any existing code.

   If you think -- like me -- that it is the
responsibility of the application developer to
properly encode URLs, and not the component, then the
solution for those applications that require the
IE-like behaviour is for the developer to call
UrlEncode himself at the application level, and to
not use FollowRedirect, but to handle redirections
himself and properly encode URLs.

   One more thing:  Your concern about breaking
existing code when encoding the URL property holds
true also if you UrlEncode the redirecion URL.  That
is, if the server responds with a properly encoded
URL, and you re-encode it again, you will mangle the
URL.  And if you can take special care to compensate
for this, why can't it be done for all URLs?

    I'm sorry for dragging this on, but I just don't
understand the push for solving "the redirection"
issue as a special case.  If you think we've gone
off-topic, feel free to reply by personal e-mail.

    Thanks

    -dZ.

PIETTE[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Sent    : 4/20/2007 1:17:40 PM
>To      : twsocket@elists.org
>Cc      :
>Subject : RE: Re: [twsocket] httpcli v6 "bad request"
>
 >> I do not agree that this is a relocation-specific
> issue, and if we want the component to mimic the
> expected behaviour of standard browsers, it needs to
> automatically encode all URLs when composing the
> request, at the latest point when the location
> address has been "commited" immutably.

I don't think the component has to encode all URL,
specialy surely not
encode the URL provided in the URL property. This
would break a lot of
existing code.

BUT, in the relocation process, it is OK to encode
any URL involved because
the user has no effective acces to this URL.

--
Contribute to the SSL Effort. Visit
http://www.overbyte.be/eng/ssl.html