Arno,
Arno Garrels wrote:
> info2004 wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using V6 beta with Turbo Delphi 2006.
>>
>> Can someone tell me which threaded server demo I should use as my
>> base for an app please.
>
> AFAIK none of the multi-threading demos is converted to V6 yet.
> ThrdSrv uses a design "one thread per (client) connection", that's the
> easiest way to implement multi-threading with ICS.
> Another design was "multiple (client) connections per thread".
> That's much harder to code and only suggested when scalability is required
> that is when plenty of concurrent clients (beyond thousand) need to be
> served on multi-processor servers. Anyway tell us why do you think you
> need multiple threads for network communication.
The server will be accepting connections from mobile GPRS units. When they
connect, they will be updating the firmware (128K bytes), and also sending
configuration commands that will be gleaned from an MS SQL server.

I am quite happy that ICS does not need to be threaded - my first server using
ICS uses just the main thread quite happily. But having these lengthy/blocking
aspects to this server is pushing me down the threaded route.

As for whether ADO is thread safe, there are lots of conflicting opinions on
the
borland news server borland.public.delphi.database.ado.

Regards,

Andy