On Oct 5, 2007, at 02:49, Olivier Sannier wrote:

> Yes, but it's not in the "spirit" of SVN and is not implemented like
> people are used to when coming from, say, SourceSafe.
> To me, this was put in to please a few users, but it must not become a
> basis for a team work.

In my opinion, Visual Source Safe is more of a project management
control tool that happens to do version control too.  Its strongest
features are those that allow managers to control access to the code
and delegate tasks by individual.

SubVersion on the other hand was created to enable more efficient
collaboration, purely as a source control tool.  You can mark files
with "requires lock", which will require a developer to acquire a lock
before committing changes.  We use this mostly for sensitive files
where a merge gone awry may be critical; or for project documentation,
which should not change that often.  In the case of ICS, for example,
*if* you were to use locking, I would suggest it on the highest files
of the TWSocket class hierarchy, which if changed, may affect all other
units.  That way you make sure that, say, Francois and Arno will not be
changing the same things at the same time.

However, as you mentioned, this is contrary to the "spirit" of SVN,
which promotes collaboration.  If Francois and Arno want to change the
same thing, then they *should* talk to each other and communicate and
organize better, instead of relying on the software to block each
other.

That said, Francois, whether you choose to go to SourceForge or not, I
strongly recommend you check out SVN:  You will not regret it, and
after doing your first revert or merge, you'll wonder how you ever
worked without it!

        dZ.

--
        DZ-Jay [TeamICS]