there may be also another problem: afaik windows xp 32bit has only 64K
handle numbers for windows available. this problem also occurs if you have a
lot of apps open, ie. 2 browsers with a lot of tabs, and the "the bat"
email client which uses a lot of handles, also some instances of
winrar and explorer.
if that condition occurs you cannot open a new window even if you have
plenty of ram available, it may be that you open an explorer window
and a part is completely gray.
you can use taskmanager to see the number of handles a process uses
(in the view menu).

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]