Hello, All!

It's a little bit offtopic but relates to an ICS-based software, and I suppose
ICS gooroos
may shed some light on this.

Imagine you have a public web-server (runs on Windows 2003). From time to time,
some strange client software opens a connection(s) on the server but never
issues
a http request. Such connections may stay open quite a while, even longer than
10 minutes which is equal or greater than usual timeout for sockets (to my
belief).
That happens several times a day. There is no any info about these clients
except for
ip-addresses. The only thing that can been deduced from the log is that the same
ip-addresses are used (in other connections) by clients with IE browsers (if we
can
believe given values for the Agent header).

Does anyone know what this means?
Why don't the dummy sockets get always closed by server OS upon a timeout? I'd
suppose
that there should be the same timeout for all such dummy connections, but they
live
different times, even for days, without data transfer, waiting until I kill
them explicitly
in backend UI.

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,