Hmmmm....

Probably right, Hamachi run's on full blown Windows (NT based), Linux or
Apple systems.   Guess in principle it could run on something else, but
it's not open source.....

Take a look at Tinc.  That is an open source VPN system.  Maybe that
could be adapted to your needs?  http://www.tinc-vpn.org/

I don't know much about the mobile platform arena, but from my own
experiments and other messings, though UDP is easier to program (at
least I find it so) TCP is better at maintaining links, especaily
through multiple routers and firewall's etc.

If you have control of the routers in question, it's not dificult to
manualy setup port forwarding of course, and there is the questionable
UPnP protocol where an "Application" can do it for itself.  But, that
can also allow some very bad things to happen in regard to network
security.

As you obviously know more about the mobile environment than I do, I'll
bow out now.  But with one question in return...

Do you (or anyone else) know of a generic Telnet client for phones like
the N6110?  It'd be so usefull......

Cheers.

Dave B.