jli...@gmail.com wrote:

> Yeah. It looks like it's not allowed to provide downloads from a site
> in the US. http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html says:
>
> "When there were tight restrictions on the export of strong encryption
> software from the US only weak encryption algorithms could be freely
> exported (initially 40 bit and then 56 bit)."

I won't rely on those FAQ but try to get the correct information from
first hand. In Germany, for example, the ministry of economics publish
current export restrictions on their website. I even wrote an e-mail to
them and got a very clear answer.

AFAIK the restrictions in the US have been loosened a couple of years ago.
I still remember those days where Windows, IE and Netscape where available
with weak, 56 bit encryption only outside the US. At least in Europe those
days are history.

--
Arno Garrels