Hello Paul,

use starting from WM_USER.
You don't have to worry because you send / post messages to specific
windows, so the right window will receive it.

WM_USER = 0x400
WM_APP  = 0x8000

Windows help say:
Message numbers in the second range (WM_USER through 0x7FFF) can be
defined and used by an application to send messages within a private
window class.

Message numbers in the third range (0x8000 through 0xBFFF) are reserved
for future use by Windows.

---
Rgds, Wilfried [TeamICS]
http://www.mestdagh.biz