Fastream Technologies wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wonder how would an end user install these files sent from Comodo:
>
> Root CA Certificate - AddTrustExternalCARoot.crt
> Intermediate CA Certificate - UTNAddTrustSGCCA.crt
> Intermediate CA Certificate - ComodoUTNSGCCA.crt
> Intermediate CA Certificate - EssentialSSLCA_2.crt
> Your Free SSL Certificate - services_mypriority_co_uk.crt
>
> It is my experience that crt's and pem's are exactly the same yet with
> different extensions.

If they are not PEM files they have to be converted to PEM with
openssl.exe first.

Then, in order to ensure that those clients who only have the root
CA in their trusted store will ever be able to verify this _ugly long
chain, copy all intermediate as well as the server certificate into
one PEM file and make it the server certificate (use a text editor for
this purpose which is able to handle "LF only" line breaks as well).
As you can imagine, the SSL handshake will be rather slow if four
certificates have to be sent to the client.

I do not know whether these certificates are commonly included in
Firefox by default, or whether IE automaticaly retrieves them from the
Microsoft certificate server. If one can be sure that connecting
clients do have the complete chain (well, without the last one of
course) it was enough to just use the server certificate.