> However I wonder why one has to detect a brocken, idle connection
> at all?

One of applications captures data from various appliances, such a call
data records from telephone switches.  If the connection with the
telephone switch is lost, CRDs are lost as is the revenue from rebilling
those telephone calls, and this can make a lot of customer anxiety, or
worse.

The better telephone switches, like Avaya, have a special protocol to
ensure CDRs don't get lost, but I've not managed to support it yet.

So being able to alert a lost TCP connection can be very useful, even
though there is no control over the remote appliance.

Angus