Browsing MSDN, I came across a winsock function that may speed up the ICS
FTP and HTTP servers, which in my testing are slower than others.  It
seems to combine reading a file and sending it over a socket.  Possible
downside is client windows is restricted to two sessions at a time,
server windows no restriction.  Just wondered if anyone had investigated
whether this API is worth the trouble?

MSDN says:

The TransmitFile function transmits file data over a connected socket
handle. This function uses the operating system's cache manager to
retrieve the file data, and provides high-performance file data transfer
over sockets.

BOOL TransmitFile(
    SOCKET hSocket,
    HANDLE hFile,
    DWORD nNumberOfBytesToWrite,
    DWORD nNumberOfBytesPerSend,
    LPOVERLAPPED lpOverlapped,
    LPTRANSMIT_FILE_BUFFERS lpTransmitBuffers,
    DWORD dwFlags
);

The TransmitFile function was primarily added to Winsock for use by
high-performance server applications (web and ftp servers, for example).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms740565%28VS.85%29.aspx

Angus