So how should I handle connection errors in a way that makes user aware of
error AND not cause any kind of disaster? Catch the error code in
OnSessionConnected

Yes, indeed.

and (using some kind of PostMessage) display actual error
message outside OnSessionConnected?

If you like it so, no problem.
Remember that the statsu won't change automatically if no trafic take place. So you may well display "connected" while the connection is broken (typical example: cabke unplugged). The only way to make sure you have the real status of the connection is to periodically make some traffic. This is the only reliable way doing it. Winsock keepalive packets are not reliable at all as my experience shows.

--
francois.pie...@overbyte.be