The actual case isn't as nice.

using a 1x (112k max) cellular
data card to transfer the contents of a data logger to a host site.

an Encrypted tunnel is created over the 1x slowing the actual data
rate due to overhead, but the system stays connected for weeks on
end.  The data logger supplies Massive chunks of binary data
(compresses by less that 5%) which a laptop uploads to the host
site.  due to band width and data rate slow down due to exceeding the
data cap right before the end of the period, it can take days to upload a
single data packet (around 3-4gigs of data).  I tried breaking the
packet up into smaller chunks, didn't really change anything, the link is
continuously active.  Would be nice to go to 3g but it's not
available at the site (we are lucky to get 1x).  I have timeouts set
to ridiculous numbers to make it work.  We can actually lose the 1x
link and the transfer picks back up when the tunnel reconnects.

BTW this costs a chunk, and the cell carrier isn't happy, but it's
within the terms of the contract.

twsoc...@kglt.net wrote:
>> How long does it take a 14.4k dial
up to upload 4gig?

> Looong, guess it would never
succeed. If memory serves
> well it was a game of hazard to get
much less data
> transferred uncorrupted over a phone line those
days.
> Is this a real use case?
>
> --

Arno Garrels