Hello,

Packet  fragmentation  is something you may not fully control whenever
you  trick  MTU size on both client and server side as many devices in
between may also fragment your packets.

For example a firewall with different MTU size set on its Ethernet
interfaces.

I regularly have such problem (I work for an French ISP).

regards.

FS> Thanks for your help...

FS> I found why it didn't work anymore, the device was connected on a 10Mb Hub,
and at the beginning I made the tests with the device connected on a 100Mb
switch.
FS> This makes a huge difference !
FS> This explains why it worked at a time and didn't work for the last days...

FS> The real problem is that the device is too sensible to packet fragmentation
and anyway we cannot assume we can always have the best MTU size !
FS> I will try to get the device behavior modified (not sure how many chances I
have !!)

FS> PS: The TCPOptimizer seems an interesting tool !

FS> Thanks again !

FS> Regards

FS> Frédéric SCHENCKEL

FS> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
FS> cab technologies
FS> za Nord du val de Moder
FS> 67350 Niedermodern
FS> Tél: + 33 3 88 72 25 01 / Fax: +33 3 88 72 25 02
FS> Notre site en Français: www.cab-technologies.fr
FS> Adresse support: supp...@cab-technologies.fr
FS> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

change in tcp settings at system level.

FS> Usually the packet size (called "MTU") has a 1500 byte default size.

FS> If  you  try to send a 2500 byte packet then this packet will probably be
fragmented into 2 packets as you wireshark dump showed.

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

FS> This tool will show your actual System level TCP settings and MTU size and
eventually change it. Default should be 1500 but you may increase this size but
think that this may have some side
FS> effects especially if the   machine  also  need  to  communicate  over
Internet  as  packet fragmentation  may  not  be managed very well (web page
don't show up,
FS> POP3 may not receive full mail...).

FS> TCP Optimizer also have a function to test largest packet you can send to
destination ("MTU/Latency" tab and then "Largest MTU" button).

FS> You  may  also  manually  do this test by sending non-fragmented pings with
forced size to detect if your destination can fully receive "big"
FS> packet.

FS> example : ping -4 -f -l 1472 192.168.0.1

FS> This will do a ping to IP 192.168.0.1 with 1472 packet size (1500 - 16 of
ethernet  encapsulation)  and  "-f"  say  "no packet fragmentation allowed".
This basic test should work but you may set
FS> bigger packet (try the packet size you need +16).

FS> regards.

FS>> Thanks François for your help !

FS>> I  will try this tomorrow... Just to be sure I'm not asking in the
FS>> wrong  direction,  this already worked with my program a few weeks
FS>> ago...  And  now without changing anything (or nothing consciously
FS>> at least !) it doesn't work anymore.

FS>> Attached  just 2 wireshark captures (at the time it worked !), you
FS>> can  see the length of the data is 2114 in one capture and 2348 in
FS>> the other one. Today I cannot go over 1500 (the rest comes then in
FS>> another  chunk) The problem is that the hardware at the other end,
FS>> takes this as several answers. Of course this is also a problem on
FS>> this  hardware  but  I  cannot change it, and again it has already
FS>> worked...

FS>> Can   the  network  topology  (different  switches  or  hub)  give
FS>> different results about this ?

FS>> Thanks

FS>> Best regards

FS>> Frédéric SCHENCKEL

FS>> technologies za Nord du val de Moder
FS>> 67350 Niedermodern
FS>> Tél: + 33 3 88 72 25 01 / Fax: +33 3 88 72 25 02 Notre site en
FS>> Français: www.cab-technologies.fr Adresse support:
FS>> supp...@cab-technologies.fr

ethernet systems. Jumbo frames are handled by the OS, not Winsock API (TWSocket
make use of Winsock API of course).