Hi,

A follow-up.

After more testing and code writing I have found the timeout does work, for
the most part. Just because a device does not respond to a ping does not
equal the timeout will occur. Another device can respond with the error.
That is what seems to be the case. I did not WireShark it to verify. This is
what appears to be the case after much testing.

Some routers/cable modems with multiple ports will respond with a failure
message before the timeout limit is reached. And some routers/cable modems
have ICMP disabled and respond with a failure message for ICMP ping traffic.

As was posed in the first message:

"So, really the timeout is the maximum time to wait and the response could
come much sooner?"

This is true. A failure message can come much sooner than the timeout limit.

Ciao,

Mark