>> While busy at porting ICS to Android, I had the need of replacing
>> Windows custom messages by something else which is portable across
>> Windows and Android.

> Your PostMessage() doesn't take a window handle and seems to be a class
method, how is that helpful to port existing code?

It is useful for posting custom messages to a TForm. That's why there is no
window handle. TMessagingSystem instance is tied to a form (A FireMonkey
form by the way). You pass the instance reference to who must post a message
to the form. In the case of the demo program, it is a thread. A window
handle cannot be used because it doesn't exist in Android. Passing an object
instance is valid for all operating system. That object is crafted for the
given operating system and his interface is the same for all operating
system.

For non visual components, there is another code under development. You have
access to the repository and you can have a look at it's current state.

> The difficult to port ICSv8 to Android isn't the messaging but the lack of
AnsiString

I already wrote an AnsiString class which does the required work.

> and ARCed objects as well as zero-based strings.

ARC is much less an issue than I had expected. You can still mostly program
like you have always done. The compiler replace your calls to Free and
FreeAndNil by what is required when ARC is in action. The [weak] attribute
is simply ignored when there is no ARC.

Same for zero-based strings. This require some code reviews and changes but
the result can be made backward compatible.

Resistance to change is a well-known issue in HR management :-)

--
francois.pie...@overbyte.be
Embarcadero MVP