> > Note messages are only deleted when the mailbox is actually
> > closed with the QUIT command.
>
> I think that is the issue. This is a 24/7 program and I do not
> issue the quit until the program is stopped.

POP3 mailboxes are rarely dynamic, they show a snapshot of the content when
opened, and not email that arrives while they are open.  Otherwise the STAT,
LIST and UIDL command message numbers would not match the message numbers when
you retrieve or delete something.

I guess they could retrieve new content each time one of those commands is
issued, and maybe that is what a modern database driven POP3 mailbox can do,
unlike the old flat file mailboxes from years ago.

But generally closing the POP3 mailbox as soon as possible is the way to work.