> which component can be used as client to talk to the above server
> component.
> Building an http server into my program sounds good but is way too
> much for what I need.

Look at free Magenta Systems IP Log Streaming Component at:

http://www.magsys.co.uk/delphi/magics.asp

which is a high level TCP/IP and UDP/IP, server and client, all in a single
component, that can be dropped on a form and only needs a couple of events to
send and receive lines of data.

There is an EXE demo in the zip.  It handles all the boring error handling,
connection and disconnection events, retries on failure, etc, so you just
program your own protocol.

I've just finished a new version supporting SSL and IPv6, not on the web site
yet.