I could be wrong and haven't time to scan your code.
But there is an error condition that will arise if all the client ports are
used (and to be tautologous) no more are available; 64k ports is a lot so
hardly happens.
It would most likely happen in the conditions you describe -
        none for period of time
        sudden increase in errors (depending on resilience of code).
If I'm reading your usage of ports correctly - 40 connections a second - and
the necessary wait time after port close - you possibly hitting it.

Stephen Dickason
Senior Developer - Managed Services
  Email: sdicka...@elcb.co.za

ELCB Information Services (Pty) Ltd