> I am playing with the OverbyteIcsSslMailSend project (from Ver 7)
> to see if I can send a message from gmail.
> Unfortunately I get an error 11004 every time I click 'connect'

The V8 demo works fine for me with Gmail, although it defaults to no SSL so you
must change 'SSL Type' to Explicit (StartTLS) using port 25, or Implicit using
port 465.

Gmail does not work without SSL.

If you want to save yourself a lot of effort, use my free Mail Queue Component
from:

http://www.magsys.co.uk/delphi/magics.asp

which hides most of the complexity, and runs a disk queue to mail retries if
the server is unavailable, or uses multiple servers.

Angus