Ok, thank you for the advice. To be honest I downloaded CIS ver 7 because I
couldn't really understand how to get ver 8. It talked about needing a
subversion client such as TortoiseSVN, but I don't understand what that is so I
just went for the simple zip download for ver 7.

Maybe I'll go back and see if I can get ver 8 and try again.

"Before you use SSL, you should initialise the SSL Context component,"

Doesn't the demo do that for us then?  So I shouldn't expect it to work 'as is'
Do I just add the line you gave to the Form.show event?

Sorry for sounding dumb. I design databases and write software for data
analysis - The whole email thing was just so I could bolt on sending out a
newsletter to 300 odd email addresses in the database! Its turning out more of
a headache than I expected.

Howard