> Although if I wanted to do cross platform development with XE7
> would it then still be compatible for an Android platform?

No, ICS is not supported on mobile platforms yet, and is unlikely to be unless
someone funds the development effort necessary.

Indy is effectively the replacement for the old sockets.pas stuff, although
Delphi
now has a second more modern HTTP/S only library that is cross platform.

> The code fragments below show how little I use of Socket.pas.  Is
> this easy to port to twsocket?

Yes, look at the OverbyteIcsUdpSend.dpr sample project, all the code is in the
ButtonClick event, the only thing you'd need to change is the send a buffer
rather
than a string.

Bear in mind this is async, it does not wait for the packet to be sent, in fact
with
UDP you have no idea if anything was sent.