> I still have some Windows 7 VMs, so will do more testing next
> week, once the new OpenSSL stuff is finished.

Not done any changes or real testing yet, except to confirm that HTTPS
downloads are currently the same speed as HTTP, although one would
expect the encryption overhead to slow things down.

I have just discovered that all SSL traffic seems to use a fixed 4K
buffer in wsocket, which I'll make variable sized.

I suspect one reason we are currently seeing good speeds even with low
buffer sizes is simply that the modern hardware we now use is so
powerful and it can cope with programming deficiencies without
performance penalty.

All my clients and servers (bar one) are 64-bit OSs with 16G of memory
and multi-core i5 or Xeon, my main development PC is SSD drives, less
important for the servers since files are RAM cached.  And the latest
CPUs have instructions to speed up SSL encryption.

But this was all different even five years ago and if repeat testing on
older hardware, I'm sure it will be much slower and the benefits of
larger buffers and buffered file handling more obvious.  Not sure it's
worth the effort...