> If I try and connect to a FTP server and that computer isn't even
> switch on, the FTP client gives up after about 25 seconds. Is
> this timeout goverened by the FTP component or by something
> deeper down in Windows networking. I was just wondering if I
> could shorten this timeout period.

This timeout is standard TCP/IP stuff, very hard to change, buried in
the Windows registry and will effect all applications.

The only simple solution is to ping the remote server first, which can
have a variable timeout of milliseconds upwards.  But not all servers
respond to ping and sometimes firewalls block it deliberately, like
mine.

Look at the OverbyteIcsPingTst.dpr sample, and TPingThread in
particular.

> The FTP Client "Timeout"
> property doesn't seem to have any effect on this, so the next
> question would be as to what this does affect?

Timeout during a connection, when no traffic is moving.