OK, thanks for your help.

Graham

On 17/11/2017 17:26, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
If I try and connect to a FTP server and that computer isn't even
switch on, the FTP client gives up after about 25 seconds. Is
this timeout goverened by the FTP component or by something
deeper down in Windows networking. I was just wondering if I
could shorten this timeout period.
This timeout is standard TCP/IP stuff, very hard to change, buried in
the Windows registry and will effect all applications.

The only simple solution is to ping the remote server first, which can
have a variable timeout of milliseconds upwards.  But not all servers
respond to ping and sometimes firewalls block it deliberately, like
mine.

Look at the OverbyteIcsPingTst.dpr sample, and TPingThread in
particular.

The FTP Client "Timeout"
property doesn't seem to have any effect on this, so the next
question would be as to what this does affect?
Timeout during a connection, when no traffic is moving.