Thanks Angus and A.S. for your input.

I found some information about SOCKS which suggests that it might supply
the target IP when it responds to the connect command, but I haven't
pursued this as yet. In the meantime until you take a look at a proper fix
I will continue using my tweaks which works for me now. Naturally I will
be happy to be involved in testing your solution when it is ready.

--
Colin

"TWSocket" <twsocket-boun...@lists.elists.org> wrote on 24/11/2017
09:48:00 p.m.:

> From: "Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd" <an...@magsys.co.uk>
> To: twsocket@lists.elists.org
> Date: 24/11/2017 09:49 p.m.
> Subject: Re: [twsocket] THttpCli and Socks Proxy
> Sent by: "TWSocket" <twsocket-boun...@lists.elists.org>
>
> > So today I have dived into OverByteIcsHttpProt.pas and made a few
> > small hacks as under to bypass the DNS lookup:
>
> Thanks, I will look at this, but not this month. Stuff like this is
> easy, it only got broken because SOCKS got forgotten.
>
> > For me, a cleaner way would be to get the IP address from the
> > proxy server relating to the existing WSocket connection, but I
> > don't know how to go about it.
>
> ICS does have a DNS lookup component that will request full domain
> details from any DNS server, like the MX records to send email, look at
> the sample OverbyteIcsNsLookup.dpr.
>
> But this assumes the SOCKS proxy offers a DNS server, which is easy to
> test with the sample.  Since passing a host name is part of the SOCKS
> protocol, they might not want you to know the final IP address.
>
> Angus

This email is confidential and may contain information subject to legal
privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient please advise us of our
error by return e-mail then delete this email and any attached files.
You may not copy, disclose or use the contents in any way.

The views expressed in this email may not be those of Gallagher Group
Ltd or subsidiary companies thereof.