Thanks for the support Angus.
Yes, I was using ICS v7Gold previously, so have now updated to v8w, which
no doubt brings other benefits with it. I can confirm that your change is
working for me.

--
Colin

"TWSocket" <twsocket-boun...@lists.elists.org> wrote on 08/12/2017
07:51:00 a.m.:

> From: "Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd" <an...@magsys.co.uk>
> To: twsocket@lists.elists.org
> Date: 08/12/2017 07:52 a.m.
> Subject: Re: [twsocket] THttpCli and Socks Proxy
> Sent by: "TWSocket" <twsocket-boun...@lists.elists.org>
>
> > So today I have dived into OverByteIcsHttpProt.pas and made a few
> > small hacks as under to bypass the DNS lookup:
> > FCtrlSocket.DnsLookup('');
>
> I've fixed the SOCKS host name issue for the HTTP client and improved
> the error messages that come back when a proxy fails.
>
> It's in SVN now, it will be zipped overnight.
>
> My change is not quite the same as yours, since in the current ICS
> version attempting a blank DNS lookup raises an immediate exception, so
> perhaps you are using old code.  I did improve DNS error handling last
> year.
>
> I've also improved the HTTP client sample for better proxy and socks
> testing, including authentication.
>
> Our SMTP and FTP clients also support socks so probably need fixing as
> well, but I guess few people are using it otherwise these issues would
> have come to light over the last 15 years.
>
> Most socks servers support UDP so DNS lookups would be possible, but
> ICS currently relies on Windows for all client DNS lookups and you can
> not specify the DNS server, Windows uses whatever is configured.
>
> ICS does have a DnsQuery component, but it would not be easy to plug
> into WSocket, it would need to handle timeouts which are common with
> DNS.
>
> Our DNS lookups do need improvement, for instance many large sites
> return a list of IP addresses for multiple servers, but we currently
> only contact the first and ignore the rest, ideally the next attempt
> should use another IP.
>
> Angus

This email is confidential and may contain information subject to legal
privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient please advise us of our
error by return e-mail then delete this email and any attached files.
You may not copy, disclose or use the contents in any way.

The views expressed in this email may not be those of Gallagher Group
Ltd or subsidiary companies thereof.