Many years ago, when I was in school, I used LaTeX for writing all my
papers.  From that, I developed the following habits for hyphen/dash usage:

    - A single hyphen for combined words: "blue-green"
    - A double hyphen for numerical ranges: "50--100"
    - A triple hyphen---in other words, a dash---as a grammatical
construct, as in this bullet point

Of course, LaTeX transformed those strings of hyphens into lines of
increasing length for the printable output.  But I personally adopted the
convention even for plain text (such as emails), and now it's virtually
impossible for me to not do that.

And for what it's worth, I've noticed that the auto-correct features in
Microsoft Outlook seems to follow somewhat similar rules... I haven't taken
the time to figure out exactly what does what, but there is definitely a
distinction between hyphens and dashes.

I can't seem to find if there is any similar convention in txt2tags.  In
fact, the double hyphen gets interpreted as strikethrough.  So I was just
wondering how people handle this.

Thanks!
Matt