SWEETS FOR THE SWEET PARTY
Saturday, February 9 at 7:30 pm
Get your "just desserts" at our annual "Sweets for
the Sweet" party. Join other TJS and TYJP members
for an evening of culinary delight. Bring an
obscenely caloric concoction - luscious chocolate,
candy, cakes or cookies. Passion fruits and "fruit
of the vine" would be divine. Hosted by Linda
Stevens, 204 Lost Tree Ln, Cary. RSVP by 2/1 to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or (919)319-7776. Call for directions.
$2 donation appreciated.

================================
The following items are from the Durham/Chapel Hill Jewish
Federation:

>> CAMPAIGN KICK-OFF...it's not too late!
   Sunday, February 10, 1 pm, Freeman Center for Jewish Life at Duke

   Not too late to help honor our Evans Award winners, Sharon and Ed
   Halperin, and our Siegel Young Leadership Award winners, Rachel
   and Nathan Bearman. Not too late to hear our speaker's compelling
   personal story. Not too late to be thanked for the wonderful
   programs and services your campaign dollars help support. Not too
   late to demonstrate your pride in our Jewish community! RSVP to

[EMAIL PROTECTED] or call 919-489-5335.

>> JEWISH COMMUNITY WEBSITES
   Jewish Federation:
http://shalomdch.org.
   Beth El Synagogue:
http://www.betheldurham.org/
   Chapel Hill Kehillah: http://www.jrf.org/chkehillah/
   Judea Reform Congregation: http://www.judeareform.org/
   Lerner Jewish Community Day School: http://ljcds-dch.org/
   NC Jewish Film Festival: http://www.carolinatheatre.org/ncjff/index.html
   Triangle Society for Humanistic Judaism: http://www.hjnc.org/

>> WEEKLY DROP-IN EVENTS FROM THE JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER
   Stretch & Relaxation: Wed., 7:30 pm. Jewish Community Day School.
   Walking Club: Fri., 8:15 am. Meet at Judea Reform Parking Lot.
   Playgroup: Fri., 10:30 am. Call 919-489-5335 for location.
   Adult Basketball: Sun., 9:30 am. East Chapel Hill High.

>> MALLARME CHAMBER PLAYERS CONCERT
   Sunday, February 3, 2:15 pm, Freeman Center for Jewish Life
   "A Sense of Place: Paul Schoenfield, The Man and His Music,"
   in concert with Ciompi Quartet. Includes Tales from Chelm
   string quartet. $15 ($5/students).

>> DUKE FRIENDS OF ISRAEL
   Monday, February 4, 3 pm, Duke's Mary Lou Williams Center
   With Rafael Danziger, AIPAC Foreign Policy Analyst
   Middle Eastern Snacks will be served. Call 919-684-6422.

>> YOUNG LEADERSHIP SHMOOZE & VIEWS
   Wednesday, February 6, 6:30 pm
   Mediterranean Deli, 410 W Franklin Street, Chapel Hill
   This month's topic: "What Is Our Responsibility As
   Jews?" RSVP to Marc Harber
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or 919-942-1487.

>> TRIANGLE SOCIETY FOR HUMANISTIC JUDAISM
   Friday, February 8, 8 pm at the Durham Unitarian Fellowship.
   Service followed by speaker from Americans & Muslims for
   Intercultural Dialog, on "Islam and the Mideast." Also,
   children's Purim activity. For more info: 919-620-0546.

>> TJS / TYJP SWEETS FOR THE SWEET PARTY
   Saturday, February 9 at 7:30 pm
   Bring an obscenely caloric concoction. E-mail
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
   or call 919-319-7776 for directions. $2 donation appreciated.

>> BETH EL EVENING OF ART
   Saturday, February 9, 8 pm, Freeman Center for Jewish Life
   Art, wine, hors d'oevres, jazz. $50/person. More info:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] or 919-732-4636. To benefit
   Beth El Synagogue's Annual Fund.

>> CAMPAIGN KICKOFF LUNCHEON TO HONOR HALPERINS, BEARMANS
   Sunday, February 10, 1 pm, Duke Freeman Center for Jewish Life
   Two very special couples will receive community awards at the
   2002 Federation Campaign Kickoff. Ed and Sharon Halperin have
   been named to receive the Mutt and Sara Evans Award for
   Community Service. Nathan and Rachel Bearman will receive the
   Earl and Gladys Siegel Young Leadership Award. Also, meet and
   hear the compelling stories of New Faces of Aliyah. If you
   didn't receive your invitation, call us at 919-489-5335.

>> JCCWW CHESS CLUB KICK-OFF
   Sunday, February 10, 6:30 pm, Jewish Federation office
   All ages and abilities welcome. RSVP to 919-489-5335 or

>> KIDS' NIGHT OUT!
   Saturday, February 16, 6:30-10:30 pm
   Parents, enjoy a night out while your kids have a blast!
   Activities include havdalah, arts & crafts, snack, movies,
   games. Grades K-6. To sign up:
http://shalomdch.org/jccww.htm.

>> SCHOOL'S OUT... JCC'S IN
   February 15, 18, 19, 8 am - 4 pm
   Teacher workday series with arts & crafts, games, stories.
   To sign up:
http://shalomdch.org/jccww.htm.

>> 4TH ANNUAL NORTH CAROLINA JEWISH FILM FESTIVAL
   February 21-24, Carolina Theatre, Durham. Saturday night
   feature performance by comedienne Elayne Boosler. Details:

http://www.carolinatheatre.org/ncjff/index.html.

>> CHAGALL IN PINEHURST
   February 22-23, Carolina Hotel, Pinehurst, NC. Sponsored by
   the Sandhills Jewish Congregation. Featuring many notable
   speakers including artist's granddaughter. Contact 910-695-4278,

[EMAIL PROTECTED], or http://www.chagallinpinehurst.org/.

>> FEDERATION STARTS WITH YOU... AND BELONGS TO ALL OF US!

   SUPER SUNDAY-MARCH 3
   When the phone rings on Sunday, March 3, a volunteer won't ask
   you to personally deliver food to a hungry family, drive a senior
   to the doctor, teach an art class, be a summer camp counselor,
   lobby Congress, or even attend an Israeli Independence Day
   celebration. All you'll be asked to do is say "Yes...yes, I'll
   give a gift to support Jewish life and continuity here and
   around the world."

   Super Sunday, March 3, is your chance to give generously of your
   time and resources. You'll be glad you did!

   To volunteer, e-mail
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or call 919-489-5335.
   Volunteers are the heart and soul of our community!

>> ROSENZWEIG MUSEUM CHILDREN'S ART SHOW RECEPTION
   Sunday, March 3, 3-5 pm, at Judea Reform Congregation
   The Jewish call to be shomrei adama, or keepers of the earth is
   expressed through art by children of all age groups from Triangle
   religious schools. Refreshments and prizes. Exhibit open through
   April 14. Call 919-932-1844 for more information.

>> MIGRATIONS: JEWISH SETTLERS OF EASTERN NC EXHIBIT
   Tuesday, March 19, 7:30-9:30 pm: Opening reception and program
   Exhibit runs March 12 through April 24 at Perkins Library, Duke
   Created by the Rosenzweig Museum and Jewish Heritage Foundation.
   Developed under direction of Len Rogoff and exhibit designer Dan
   Gottlieb, "Migrations" is a series of panels describing in words
   and pictures the experiences of some of the first Jewish settlers
   in eastern North Carolina. For more information call 919-932-1844.

>> COMMUNITY YOM HASHOAH PROGRAM
   Monday, April 8, 7:30 pm at the Chapel Hill Kehillah
   Holocaust program and memorial service, featuring the Triangle
   Jewish Chorale  and a presentation by Marianne Roberts, who
   escaped from Germany in 1939 at age 19. For more information,
   contact 919-286-3628 or 919-933-9089.

====================ANNOUNCEMENTS=========================

>> DID YOU SIGN UP YOUR CHILD FOR JCCWW SUMMER CAMP YET?
   Go to
http://shalomdch.org/camp.htm.

>> JFS INTERFAITH COUPLES DISCUSSION SERIES
   Call 919-489-5335 for more information.

>> SEEKING BRIDGE AND MAJ JONGG PLAYERS OF ALL LEVELS
   Contact the JCCWW at 919-489-5335 or reply to this e-mail
   to join a group of people with the same interest.

>> JCCWW JEWISH BOOK CLUB STARTING IN APRIL
   Tuesday, April 2, 7-8 pm, then first Tuesdays. At Durham
   Barnes & Noble. To discuss the Pulitzer Prize winning novel,
   "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay," by Michael
   Chabon. Come with ideas for future reads. Reply to this
   e-mail or call 919-489-5335 to sign-up.

>> JOB OPENING: Clinical Social Worker: 20 hours
   Jewish Family Service seeks a Clinical Social Worker, LCSW
   with a focus on family and geriatric practice. Varied respon-
   sibilities: Individual, family and group services, office
   and home visits, advocacy work in nursing home and
   assisted living facilities, some program-related respon-
   sibilities, etc. JFS serves the Jewish community of Durham
   and Chapel Hill. Send cover letter and resume to Marjorie
   Scheer, Director, JFS, 3622 Lyckan Pkwy, Ste 3003, Durham,
   NC 27707 or fax to 919-489-5778.

>> JOB OPENING: Programming and Volunteer Coordinator: 24 hours
   Jewish Family Service seeks a Programming and Volunteer
   Coordinator. Varied responsibilities: Screens volunteers for
   the friendly visitor and other JFS volunteer programs; plans
   and coordinates "Chaverim," the Lunch and Learn program for
   Jewish senior citizens; staffs the JFS Program committee and
   implements (with volunteer assistance) the ideas generated by
   the Program Committee; coordinates major JFS programs; helps
   create fall and winter/spring JFS brochures. Undergraduate
   degree, knowledge of and deep engagement with Jewish culture,
   experience in programming and volunteer coordination, much
   room for creativity. Send cover letter and resume to Marjorie
   Scheer, Director, JFS, 3622 Lyckan Pkwy, Ste 3003, Durham, NC
   27707 or fax to 919-489-5778.

>> JOB OPENING: Community Midrasha Education Director: 25 hours
   The Community Midrasha is a pluralistic high school program
   serving the Durham-Chapel Hill Jewish community. The Midrasha
   was created as combination of the education program of Beth El
   Synagogue and Judea Reform Congregation. Now an independent
   organization in its 14th year, its weekly programs provide
   religious and cultural instruction to Jewish students from 8th
   through 12th grades.

   The position of Education Director includes:
     - developing and implementing the curriculum and academic goals
     - hiring, supervising, and evaluating the faculty
     - managing the Midrasha's resources
     - working with the Midrasha's volunteer board

   For further information, please email
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or
   call Sabina Sager at 919-688-1774.

>> MISHLOACH MANOT DELIVERY SERVICE
   By the Lerner Jewish Community Day School, serving Durham,
   Chapel Hill, Carrboro. Mail order service also available.
   Packages are kosher and include Purim story; hamentashen from
   Green's Bakery  of Brooklyn. Orders by Feb. 15 to guarantee
   delivery by Purim, Monday, 2/25. Call 919-286-5517 for more
   info. Order form:
http://ljcds-dch.org/purim.pdf.

>> JCCWW MOSAIC ART CLASS
   Bring an object (table, frame, tray, mirror, etc.) to decorate
   with a colorful mix of ceramic pieces. Dates/time TBA (daytime).
   Call 919-489-5335 or reply to this e-mail.

>> ARTS & CRAFTS FAIR. New this year at the JCCWW Yom Ha'Atzmaut
   (Israeli Independence Day) Community Celebration, April 14.
   Artists and craftspersons are invited to show and sell their
   wares. Call 919-489-5335 to rserve a booth.

>> JCCWW SUMMER CAMP: A FEW COUNSELORS STILL NEEDED. Ages 16+.
   Call 919-489-5335 to set up an interview.