    Thursday, May 18, 2006:  Happy Hour
    Sunday, May 21, 2006:  Triangle Jewish Film Festival
    Saturday, May 27 - Monday, May 29, 2006:  Spring White Water Rafting Trip (RSVPs Required)

Also, mark your calendars for these events; more information will follow in a subsequent Emails.
    Sunday, June 4, 2006:  Adventure Landing Outing
    Sunday, June 11, 2006:  Hike
    Thursday, June 15, 2006:  Happy Hour
    Saturday, June 24, 2006:  Make-Your-Own-Pizza Night
    Tuesday, July 4, 2006:  July 4th Picnic/Fireworks
    Saturday, July 15, 2006:  Durham Bulls Outing
    Thursday, July 20, 2006:  Happy Hour
    Thursday, July 27, 2006:  Craft Night
    Thursday, August 3, 2006:  Board/Planning Meeting
    Sunday, August 6, 2006:  Annual Wet 'n Wild Outing
    Thursday, August 17, 2006:  Happy Hour
    Sunday, August 27, 2006:  Annual Picnic
    Friday, September 15 - Sunday, September 17, 2006:  7th Annual Gauley River White Water Rafting Trip
    Saturday, September 23, 2006:  Rosh Hashanah Potluck Dinner

I would like remind everyone that our Happy Hours are held on the third Thursday of each month, unless otherwise specified.  There will be no Happy Hour for the month of April, 2006, as it would conflict with the last day of Passover.

NOTE TO NEW MEMBERS:  If you are new to TYJP, please contact the host of the event or send a note to [EMAIL PROTECTED] (tyjp at rtpnet.org), so we can look out for you.  We would like to ensure your first event is a pleasant and warm experience.

Happy Hour:
When:
  Thursday, May 18, 2006
Time:
  7:00 PM
Where:  Amante Pizza Durham/Chapel Hill, Hwy 54 and Farrington Road (919-493-0904)

Join TYJP for some yummy gourmet pizza at Amante Pizza in Durham near Chapel Hill.  The menu also includes salads, sandwiches, calzones and such.  See the following website for menu details:
    www.amantepizza.com/menu.html

Directions:
From I-40 exit 273, go west on Highway 54 towards Chapel Hill/UNC (over the overpass from 40 westbound, away from the overpass from 40 eastbound).  Take a Left onto Farrington (first light after the I-40 ramps), then a quick right into the Falconbridge shopping center.  You’ll see a Hardee’s in the shopping center parking lot.  (If you miss the light at Farrington, you can take the next left after that onto Falconbridge Rd and go left into the shopping center.)   Drive down to the end of the parking lot near the BP gas station to find Amante.

Using Mapquest is not recommended for this location.

For google maps, use the address for the Mardi Gras Bowling Center which is also in the Falconbridge shopping center: 6118 Farrington Road, Durham, NC:
    http://tinyurl.com/forea (google map)

Send any questions to Teri at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
.

  Sunday, May 21, 2006
Time:
  2:45 PM Meet / 3:00 Movie
Where:  Galaxy Cinema, 770 Cary Towne Blvd., Cary (919-463-9989)
Cost:  $7.50

We will be seeing A Cantor's Tale at 3 p.m.  Please meet in the lobby at 2:45 pm so we can all sit together.  Following the movie, there will be a Q & A with Cantor Mendelson.  The movie and Q & A will go until 5 pm.  Ticket price is $7.50.

After the movie, we will have dinner at one of the local establishments, which will be determined after the movie.

A Cantor’s Tale, which was produced in 2004 in the USA, is a drama in English.

The Triangle Jewish Film Festival website gives the following description of the movie:
 "Great cantors used to be adored celebrities, bigger than baseball players and movie stars. Colorful Jack Mendelson, a chazzan, has the magic. He carries the line as keeper of the Hebrew prayer songs that accompany life’s events. Mendelson returns to his old Brooklyn neighborhood, which also spawned Alan Dershowitz, Jackie Mason and Steven Spielberg. A nostalgic and joyous exploration of one man’s quest to pass on the authentic tradition."

FYI... There are also four other feature films and one free documentary being shown at the festival.  In addition to the movies, there will also be kosher deli food, music and a display of children's art.

Directions:
The Galaxy Cinema is located off I-40 at Exit 291, which is easy access from any location in the Triangle; it is located Village Square Shopping Center,  at the intersection of Cary Towne Boulevard and Maynard Road.

Please click here for directions: http://www.mygalaxycinema.com/Directions.asp

More information about the festival can be found at: www.trianglejewishfilmfestival.com

Please RSVP so that we'll know to look for you.

Send any questions to Renata at [EMAIL PROTECTED].

  Saturday, May 27 - Monday, May 29, 2006
Time:
  TBD
Where:  Nolichucky River (Near Erwin, TN and the NC/TN Border) (RSVPs Required)

Michael C. has made the initial reservations for this White Water rafting trip.  The details are below.

"The Nolichucky -- sometimes roaring and surging, other times serene and playful, but always beautiful. The slopes of Mount Mitchell, the highest mountain in the East, are where the main tributaries begin. Then the river turns west and forces its way through the spine-like ridge of the Unaka Mountains that form the boarder between North Carolina and Tennessee. The gorge is lined with towering cliffs above the rapids, the steep mountainsides covered with hardwood forest and the banks lined with flowering laurel and rhododendron."

The Day trip is eight and one half miles of breathtaking scenery with over twenty-five "adventure" class rapids throughout the heart of the deepest river gorge in the East; the trip also includes lunch.

The current plan is to camp at an adjoining camp site to the rafting outfitters (they are unrelated).  We plan to arrive sometime Saturday afternoon, set camp, play in the water (if people want), and then cook dinner over an open camp fire.  Sunday we will get up, eat breakfast, and then walk over to the outfitters; we should be getting off the river by the middle to later part of the afternoon.  We then plan to cook dinner again over another camp fire.  There will be live music both Saturday and Sunday Nights.

Please RSVP with the outfitter, 1-800-USA-Raft, as soon as possible; as of Wednesday, May 10, there is only one (1) opening left for the 10:00 AM trip; there may be a possibility of adding another two (2) spots if needed, but it is not guarenteed.  You will need the reservation number, OD0318 (that is, the first two characters are the letters, "o" and "d", the rest are numerals); the RSVP is under the name, Michael Cohen.  The cost of the rafting is $67.95 plus tax, which includes lunch on Sunday.  The cost of camping is  $12 for Saturday night and $9.00 for Sunday night, to be paid when we arrive.  Please contact Michael ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) once you have RSVPed with the rafting outfitter, so he can plan the carpools.  DO NOT WAIT!  RSVP NOW as the spaces are running out fast!

Note:  If you plan to join us in September for the Gauley River Trip, this is an excellent trip to get your feet wet if you haven't been white water rafting before, or you haven't been rafting for a long time.