......I went with someone to tow a 69 bus once without a engine and had the
same problem. We ended up using some rope tied around the tranny to a  sign
pole wedged and tied up in the engine compartment.  This worked from Upstate
NewYork To the CT
/RI border shoreline. I just kept on thinking "it's not my bus".

Bill M
Mystic, CT
78 Westy