Howdy,
I may not understand the need or particular use of a block heater in this case, so
excuse the following if that is the case.

For many years I drove a diesel powered vehicle in very cold conditions and would be
unable to get it to  start on the coldest mornings. There were some fancy ways to
defeat the problem, but the best (simplest, cheapest) was to mount a standard light
bulb under the hood and run an extension cord to a 120 source at night (or a 12 volt
bulb powered by the house bank). This kept the engine from getting super cold and it
started easily every time.

Hope this helps.

Kindest Regards,
Chris