[ The Types Forum (announcements only),
     http://lists.seas.upenn.edu/mailman/listinfo/types-announce ]

SOAP

Service Oriented Architectures and Programming

http://www.cs.unibo.it/projects/acmsac2011-soap/

ACM SAC 2011

For the past twenty-five years, the ACM Symposium on Applied Computing has been
a primary and international forum for applied computer scientists, computer
engineers, and application developers to gather, interact and present their
work. SAC 2011 is sponsored by the ACM Special Interest Group on Applied
Computing (SIGAPP), and is hosted by Tunghai University in TaiChung, Taiwan.

SOAP TRACK: CALL FOR PAPERS

Although when considered from a purely technological point of view
Service-Oriented Programming (SOP) is not an enormous novelty, when it comes to
paradigmatic considerations SOP is quickly changing our vision of the Web.
Originally, the Web was mainly seen as a means of presenting the information to
a wide spectrum of people, but SOP is now triggering a radical shift to a
vision of the Web as a computational fabric where loosely coupled services
interact publishing their interfaces inside dedicated repositories, where they
can be searched by other services, retrieved and invoked, always abstracting
from the actual implementation. In the context of this modern paradigm we have
to cope with an old challenge, like in the early days of Object-Oriented
Programming when, until key features like encapsulation, inheritance, and
polymorphism, and proper design methodologies were defined, consistency in the
programming model definition was not achieved. The complex scenario of Servic!
 e Oriented Programming needs to be clarified on many aspects, both from the
engineering and from the foundational point of view.

>From the engineering point of view, there are open issues at many levels.
>Among others, at the system design level, both traditional approaches based on
>UML and approaches taking inspiration from business process modeling, e.g.
>BPMN, are used. At the composition level, although WS-BPEL is a de-facto
>industrial standard, other approaches are appearing, and both the
>orchestration and choreography views have their supporters. At the description
>and discovery level there are two separate communities pushing respectively
>the semantic approach (ontologies, ...) and the syntactic one (WS-BPEL, ...).
>In particular, the role of discovery engines and protocols is not clear. In
>this respect we still lack adopted standards: UDDI looked to be a good
>candidate, but it is no longer pushed by the main corporations, and its wide
>adoption seems difficult. Furthermore, a new different implementation
>platform, the so-called REST services, is emerging and competing with classic
>Web Services. Fi!
 nally, features like Quality of Service, security, sustainability and
dependability need to be taken seriously into account, and this investigation
should lead to standard proposals.

>From the foundational point of view, formalists have discussed widely in the
>last years, and many attempts to use formal methods for specification and
>verification in this setting have been made. Session correlation, service
>types, contract theories and communication patterns are only a few examples of
>the aspects that have been investigated. Moreover, several formal models based
>upon automata, Petri nets and algebraic approaches have been developed.
>However most of these approaches concentrated only on a few features of
>Service Oriented Systems in isolation, and a comprehensive approach is still
>far from being achieved.

The Service Oriented Architectures and Programming track aims at bringing
together researchers and practitioners having the common objective of
transforming Service Oriented Programming into a mature discipline with both
solid scientific foundations and mature software engineering development
methodologies supported by dedicated tools. In particular, we will encourage
works and discussions about what Service Oriented Programming still needs in
order to achieve its original goal, along with works proposing comparison among
different models and technological solutions.

Major topics of interest will include:

- Formal methods for specification of Web Services
- Notations and models for Service Oriented Computing
- Methodologies and tools for Service Oriented application design
- Service Oriented Middlewares
- Service Oriented Programming languages
- Test methodologies for Service Oriented applications
- Analysis techniques and tools
- Service systems performance analysis
- Industrial deployment of tools and methodologies
- Standards for Service Oriented Programming
- Service application case studies
- Dependability and Web Services
- Quality of Service
- Security issues in Service Oriented Computing
- Comparisons between different approaches to Services
- Exception handling in composition languages
- Trust and Web Services
- Sustainability and Web Services, Green Computing
- Adaptable Web Services
- Software Product Lines for Services
- Artificial Intelligence Techniques for Service Oriented Computing

IMPORTANT DATES (please note the deadline extension for paper submission)

- August 31, 2010: Paper submissions *EXTENDED*
- October 12, 2010: Author notification
- November 2, 2010: Camera-Ready Copy
- March 21-25, 2011: Conference

SUBMISSIONS

Authors are invited to submit original unpublished papers. Peer groups with
expertise in the track focus area will double-blindly review submissions.
Accepted papers will be published in the annual conference proceedings.
Prospective papers should be submitted to the track using the provided
automated submission system. Papers NOT presented at conference will NOT be
included in the ACM digital library. Authors are allowed up to 8 pages, but
with more than 6 pages in the final camera ready, there will be a charge of
80USD per extra page. Submission of the same paper to multiple tracks is not
allowed.

The conference is running a double-blind review process. The submitted
manuscript should not include any information which could reveal the authors'
identity. The title section of the submitted manuscript should not contain any
author names, email addresses, or affiliation status. If the submitted
manuscript do include any author names on the title page, the submission will
be automatically rejected. In the body of the submission, there should be no
direct references to previous work of the authors. That is, phrases such as
"this contribution generalizes our results for XYZ" should be avoided. Also,
authors' own previous work should not be disproportionately cited. In other
words, the submission should be as anonymous as possible. We need your
cooperation in our effort to maintain a fair, double-blind reviewing process -
and to consider all submissions equally.

Please visit the SAC 2011 Website for further information:

http://www.acm.org/conferences/sac/sac2011/

PC MEMBERS

* Faycal Abouzaid, University of Montreal (Canada)
* Marco Aiello, University of Groningen (Netherlands)
* Roberto Bruni, University of Pisa (Italy)
* Chihung Chi, Tsinghua University (China)
* Rocco De Nicola, University of Florence (Italy)
* Nicola Dragoni, Technical University of Denmark (Denmark)
* Schahram Dustdar, Technical University of Vienna (Austria)
* Claudio Guidi, italianaSoftware s.r.l. (Italy)
* Tim Hallwyl, Sirius IT (Danmark)
* Koji Hasebe, University of Tsukuba (Japan)
* Nickolas Kavantzas, ORACLE (USA)
* Peep Kungas, University of Tartu (Estonia)
* Francisco Martins, University of Lisbon (Portugal)
* Michele Mazzucco, University of Tartu (Estonia)
* Jing Mei, IBM China Research Lab (China)
* Hernan Melgratti, University of Buenos Aires (Argentina)
* Nicola Mezzetti, Di.Tech (Italy)
* Shih-Hsi Liu, California State University (USA)
* Kevin Ottens, Klaralvdalens Datakonsult AB (Sweden)
* Luca Padovani, University of Torino (Italy)
* Andreas Roth, SAP (Germany)
* Maurice ter Beek, ISTI-CNR, Pisa (Italy)
* Peter Wong, Fredhopper, Amsterdam (Netherlands)

TRACK CHAIRS

Ivan Lanese
lanese @ cs.unibo.it
FOCUS Team, Dipartimento di Scienze dell'Informazione, University of
Bologna/INRIA, Italy

Manuel Mazzara
manuel.mazzara @ newcastle.ac.uk
School of Computing Science, Newcastle university, UK

Fabrizio Montesi
fmontesi @ italianasoftware.com
italianaSoftware s.r.l., Italy