[ The Types Forum (announcements only),
    http://lists.seas.upenn.edu/mailman/listinfo/types-announce ]

It is the great pleasure of the European Association for Programming Languages
and Systems to announce the outcome of the EAPLS Best Dissertation Award 2010
(http://eapls.org/items/330/).

This award is given to the PhD student who has made the most original and
influential contribution to the area of Programming Languages and Systems, and
has graduated in the period up to November 2010 at a European academic
institute. The purpose of the award is to draw attention to excellent work, to
help the career of the student in question, and to promote the research field
as a whole.

The winner of this first edition of the EAPLS Dissertation Award is

    Dr. Alexey Gotsman
    Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge

for his dissertation on

    Logics and analyses for concurrent heap-manipulating programs

The winner was selected by a committee of international experts. Details on the
procedure can be found at http://eapls.org/pages/phd_award/. The candidate
theses were judged on originality, impact, relevance, and quality of writing.

The jury concluded unanimously that Dr. Gotsman's dissertation is an
outstanding piece of work; it received the best marks amidst some very strong
contenders. A summary of the jury's findings:

+ Program logic and analysis are two related fields, but here they are unified
at a very deep level, and the author presents important results in both fields.
The subject is very difficult and very relevant, and the author masters it all.

+ The breadth and depth of the dissertation are excellent; it provides the
reader with a competent and intriguing overview of this interesting field of
research.

+ The quality of the publication venues (PoPL, SAS, PLDI) and the impact of the
work, measured by the number of citations, are impressive.

+ The dissertation is very well written.

We offer Dr. Gotsman our heartfelt congratulations with his achievement. We are
confident that it will be a sign of a long and distinguished scientific career.

European Association for Programming Languages and Systems
http://eapls.org